Christmas 2015 - Drinking
Get into the 'spirit' of Christmas with these drinks ideas that are guaranteed to fill you with festive cheer!
- Don Papa 10 Year Old Rum - Don Papa, the world's first single island rum from the Philippines, has launched its limited edition 10-year old rum in time for Christmas. Don Papa 10 is distilled from some of the finest sugar cane in the world on the island of Negros Occidental in the Philippines and aged for 10 years in American oak in the foothills of Mount Kanlaon. Dark amber in colour, Don Papa 10 is deep, rich and powerful on the nose, with a delicate tingle in the mouth, exuding bold flavours of dried fruits and cacao, with just a hint of oak - perfect for sipping alongside a panettone. From www.harveynichols.com RRP: £49.95
Glenrothes Vintage Reserve - Instead of sticking to a single age statement, Vintage Reserve continues The Glenrothes' unique approach of marrying the finest whiskies of a particular year and bottling at the precise moment they are ready. As such Vintage Reserve provides a complex blend of whiskies from the last 3 decades, with older vintage expressions lending mellower, softer flavours, while the younger ones add ‘exuberance' and citrus notes. These lighter notes make it the perfect post prandial tipple whilst you catch another Only Fools & Horses re-run! £39 from Waitrose, Ocado and good Whisky retailers.
- Jagermeister Spice - Everyone's favourite shot has grown up this Christmas with the launch of the ever-so-sophisticated Jagermeister Spice. A re-blend of the classic, Jägermeister Spice bottles the 56 hand-selected herbs, blossoms, roots and fruits found in the original, with enhanced notes of cinnamon, rich vanilla and subtle saffron. Serve it on the rocks, with Cola or play around with festive cocktails. £20 from Tesco.
- Silent Pool Gin - There's no shortage of interesting new gins around, but Silent Pool is definitely one to be taken notice of. Produced in Surrey with a unique blend of 24 botanicals, the liquid is rich and clean juniper-driven with floral layers of lavender and chamomile. Fresh notes of citrus and kaffir lime are grounded with the subtle sweetness of local honey, creating a well-balanced gin that is both traditional and refreshingly individual. £35 from good spirits retailers
- The Pogues Irish Whiskey - 'Fairytale of New York' is a massive favourite here at LFLD, so The Pogues actually launching their own whiskey is about as exciting as Christmas booze gets! Produced by West Cork Distillers with a blend of 50% Irish grain whiskey aged in bourbon oak casks and 50% single malt Irish whiskey aged in sherry casks, The Pogues Irish whiskey has as much character as the band itself! This mighty whiskey has an aroma of malts and cracked nuts with a sweet taste and a smooth intense flavour. Not for the faint hearted. Available from good drinks retailers for £30. www.thepoguesirishwhiskey.com
- Regal Rogue Vermouth - Vermouth has undoubtedly been one of the drinks trends of 2015, and amongst the most exciting brands to emerge has been Regal Rogue. Incredibly quaffable and refreshing, the Wild Rose and Daring Dry are ideal in cocktails, or simply served over ice with a drop of soda and slice of lemon - perfect for a touch of light drinking before you get to the big wines and spirits.
Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne L'Estevenas 2012 - Wines from Côtes du Rhône Cairanne are hugely a sought-after and set to become one of the region's next crus. A premium blend of old vine Grenache and Syrah, this rich and complex red is aged in old oak barrels where it develops luxurious notes of truffle, liquorice, plums, raspberries, mocha and earth. With such powerful and balanced flavours, it's the idea Christmas lunch partner for everything from topside roast beef to buttery pastries and mince pies. £16 from http://www.h2vin.co.uk/home.php
- Wines by D&D - as one of the country's leading restaurant groups, it's fair to assume that D&D Group know a thing or two about wines, so it's no surprise that their debut releases have been so well received. The red (Les Gamins) and white (Les Trois Bises) wines were created in partnership with top Châteauneuf-du-Pape producer, Château la Nerthe, and are both incredibly approachable wines that are ideal for quaffing or serving a versatile table wines with a variety of foods. Available from D&D restaurants and wine shops for around £15 from http://www.danddwineshop.com
- Feeney's Irish Cream Liqueur - Mixing cream and booze pretty much typifies everything about Christmas consumption and this bottle of cream liqueur by Feeney's is a delicious alternative to the standard bottle of Bailey's. Recently awarded a Platinum award and ‘Best in Class' at the 2015 SIP Awards, Feeney's is lighter and less cloying than other cream liqueurs, but still provides a rich and boozy flavour. Available for around £12 from Tesco and http://www.31dover.com/feeney-s-irish-cream-liqueur.html
- Leckford English Sparkling Wine - English sparkling wine has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, so it's no surprise that Waitrose has invested in it's own vineyard. Crafted at leading English wine estate, Ridgeview, Leckford is a blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier grapes. Expect an elegant Champagne like drinking experience, with aromas of toasted brioche and hazelnuts that give way to a creamy palate with apple and peach flavours and a citrus twist on the long and complex finish. Available from http://www.waitrose.com
- Mirabeau en Provence Rosé - Christmas doesn't have to mean having to stick to heavy reds and predictable whites. Mirabeau Rose wines have gained a brilliant reputation for providing Rose wines that are as complex as they are approachable, making them ideal as an aperitif or even pairing with white meats over Christmas. Starting at around £9.50 from Ocado and Waitrose
- World of Zing Bottled Cocktails and Travel Packs - Enjoy a world-class cocktail experience in the comfort of your living room with World of Zing's award-winning bottled cocktails! Handmade in small batches in East London using bespoke bitters and liqueurs, the range includes all of the classic cocktails, included a Bordeaux Cask Aged Negroni, Steel Aged Manhattan and Kings Ginger Punch with Bergamot, Lemon and Strawberries! Available in individual bottles, gift sets and even handy travel packs for those of you who want quality drinks on the move! Starting at £15 from http://www.worldofzing.com/product-category/drinks/aged-batched-cocktails